July 23, 2010

On Falling in Love: The RUSH


Surely the subject of falling in love with another person does not normally arise within the yogic community. You see, our first duty is to learn to discern the real from the unreal and not to go about seeking pleasure and understanding from outside of ourselves. As my teacher taught, anything in this world that changes is not real. Things that don't change...real. For example, you could look at pictures of me or anyone at age 1, 2, 3 ect and I will look different. My body is changing and so from the yoga/Vedic perspective, the body is not real. Now there is something in those pictures that is NOT changing...the fact that in each photo it's me or you or whomever...there is something inside that doesn't change-who we are, our soul, our core.


After that first discernment, our next duty is to find peace of mind. In this we are sort of 'falling in love' with ourselves. To really find inner peace we will have to be in a place of complete acceptance of what IS. And this is true love. Acceptance is love.


So THEN...after all of this HARD WORK, it seems it is then we can fully and honestly 'fall in love' with another. Of course we can give/share love all day everyday with all people, plants and things. But we know what I am talking about here...THAT love. I can say I have been in love with another person. Only once. I have had love in relationships but looking back there was only one that was 'real'. And I had certainly not approached those first two duties(discernment, inner truth, self-love) yet and so the relationship didn't work out.


This morning, I was going through old emails. I found a poem that I had written to that one love and I want to share it. Just reading it reminds me of that lovely feeling...that RUSH of LOVE!


the world is ever swirling and it never really ends

I saw you only yesterday

but still i miss my friend


Don't you know?

My love just grows...


and though we may not know right now

what the future holds


answers fall from clouds and stars

and stories do unfold


Don't you know?

the story goes...


so rest your head upon my heart

and let me take a stand


to lend my all, my everything

and let your heart expand


Don't you know?

your love will grow...


Om shanti,

Sivakami

4 comments:

  1. I love the poem. I love love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. curious......you posted this back in 2010...how has your mind changed toward the topic as of now? Myself....my journey and realizations towards real/unreal/reality has completly changed my ideas towards the concept of love.....sometimes I wish I could have those puppy dog eyes or better yet that puppy dog heart....... : ) on second thought...nahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  3. At this point I don't find anything "wrong" with feeling love towards another person, romantic or other. I think it's beautiful. But attachment is dangerous and disturbs the mind, much as waves in a like. The more attached we are to anything, the more disturbed we become as those attachments, when they don't follow expectations, create disturbances in the mind, leading us away from inner calm.

    ReplyDelete