December 11, 2010

Animal Totems are Way Cool


The idea of animal totems came into my life years ago when a friend was reading the book, "Animal Speak". Being one of those people who loves anything that acts as a guide or helps us with signs (ie religious texts, meditation, pendulums, astrology, Angel Cards, Cards of Destiny and on...) I loved the idea of having nature and her uninhibited creatures acting as guides. The native Americans, both of the north and south, have used animal totems throughout their cultural history. Today it is common to hear people refer to a shaman or a trip to South America when they speak of totems.

I like to think we can use this ancient wisdom in our everyday lives to help us along our path. I recall at one point I kept having crows swoop down in front of me. I finally looked it up to find it was an omen of change. I noticed they would visit me when I was with my boyfriend with the most persistent bird following me along a hiking trail and swooping so close to me I fell into a lake! This was on a mountainous island that I would soon call home for three months-so boy did change come! I moved , we broke up, and I set down a completely new path in my life.

Lately I have been being visited by the mighty and glorious Red-tail Hawk. While I know that hawks are making a return from their dwindling population, here is when I think it's worth looking an animal up: when it is persistent. When it calls out to you grabbing your attention and/or when you see one day after day. The hawk totem is about fulfilling your soul's purpose. It becomes a permanent totem as it arrives as you are on the path your soul was meant for and since you are now like the hawk, seeing the big picture, it's time to bring the message to others. Since I have been studying nutrition and yoga for some time now, it seems to be time to share what I have learned with as many people as I can. It feels like a big job but with hawk telling me that the time has come...here I go! I am hoping to take this as a push to be doing more writing , teaching more yoga, doing more meditation, and taking my health coaching business to the next level. I will keep you posted.
What is nature trying to tell you? There are 3 times that it seems appropriate to check out your totem:
1.) When there is an animal that you have always loved your whole life. Like the horse people, or people who just love lizards. These are more permanent totems that have something to do with your soul's constitution and outlook in this life.

2.) When you dream of an animal. This is a strong message of your super-conscious Self coming through in nature-form. Remember that animals are pure. They don't have egos, they don't judge. So therefore a message coming from them is also completely unattached to any ulterior motives. It is universal truth.

3.) When an animal in the wild persistently or unexpectedly approaches you. Whether it's a wild animal that approaches you when it would normally run away (like a fox, moose or beaver) or just keeps creeping by (like a bug, worm, or bird) they are trying to get your attention. They might call out to you, swoop in front of you, appear on your shirt...just keep an eye out and be open and aware!

It's fun to listen to nature speak. I have found the best resource to be the website Lin's Domain. (Warning: there is music on the landing pages!) But if you just google "animal totem + your animal" this is the website that will usually come up as the 1st or 2nd option, bringing you directly to that animal's page.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment