December 13, 2010

Ohhh Right...Goat's Milk


I have been going back on forth on my stance of dairy consumption for years. I go through periods of time where I eat it, and other times I don't. I can't really say in which periods I feel 'better'. But every time I am not eating it, there comes some point where I am craving it. SO...there must be something in there my body likes. Period. I have taken the stance that it's not something I need to eliminate so much as to be mindful of in my consumption. How much am I using? Is it an emotional or physiological craving? What is the quality? How were these animals treated at the farm? What it a real farm or a factory farm? Lots to consider!

And on the dairy subject, I had a breakthrough the other day regarding the difference between cow dairy and goat dairy products. I stopped into the amazing local raw foods spot, Oasis, for a Maca-infused (more on Maca Root in an upcoming Superfoods post) warm beverage and ended up having a great discussion with the owner who is also-you guessed-amazing. We were chatting about the dairy issue and how it's such a sticking point in various dietary theories. I was explaining how I have been studying and practicing Ayurveda (promotes milk, yogurt and ghee for certain doshas) but also combining it with some modern studies by Dr. Mercola (he says raw dairy is good) and wanting to infuse the knowledge of the raw foods movement. What she said next blew me away. She mentioned that her body likes goat's milk much better than cow's because they are more her size. A goat is more her size...and my size...and (hopefully) your size too. OHHHHHHHHHH...OK- that makes sense! Cow milk is produced to grow COWS. Goat's milk is produced to grow GOATS. And yes indeed, I am closer in size to a goat than a cow and I intend to keep it that way:)

So in the end, where I am today with my view on dairy, is that I will use (sparingly) mostly goat's milk products that are organic, grass-fed and raw (unpasteurized). How about you? What do you think about our nation's obsession with dairy? What's your relationship with it like?


Bon Appetite!


No comments:

Post a Comment