January 31, 2011

Mother's Wisdom


My mom took her first yoga class ever with me on Saturday. And by with me I mean that I was the teacher. She said she liked it a lot and that she thought I was an excellent teacher. It is a very cool experience to be able to share a talent, skill or accomplishment with those in your life that have made those very things possible for you. And while it was amazing for me to hear those things from my own mother, it was something else she said that morning that really showed me the deep wisdom that she has.


When I am driving to teach a class, I have a ritual of singing Kirtan on the way. This helps me to remember that everything I am doing in my life is practicing Yoga. And driving is one of them. You can practice Yoga while driving: go the speed limit. Let cars pass you. Sit on your sit bones ect. And breathe of course. Kirtan also helps to lift my spirits ensuring I arrive to class with a light heart. So I turned to my mom in the car and asked if she would mind if I sang some chants. She said of course.


I began with a chant about Ganesha, so obstacles could be removed (and because it's my favorite) and followed up with a Siva chant since it was Saturday (see last post) and it's a Siva day (Saturday=Saturn...and OK I am totally not an astrologer-still figuring that out). I began a chant I really like. "Hara Hara Mahadeva Shambo..." But then I came to a part in the song that goes really high. I did what I always do here and scrunched up my face, looked at my mom a little embarrassed and with eyes that said, "I don't think I can do this". And you know what she said, "Oh who cares Julie, just do it, you have to try. Just push through."


Om tat sat, Mom, Om tat sat.


No comments:

Post a Comment