April 26, 2011

Alignment




When practicing yoga asana, they say that your alignment is of particular importance. Sure, we need to be breathing-through the nose-and perhaps reciting a mantra if more advanced, and certainly focusing. But if the alignment is off, then rather than a chakra-opening, muscle stretching, blood-circulating, mind-focusing posture, you may be creating injury.

And so it is with life.

When we are out of alignment with our purpose, our truth, we hurt ourselves and those around us. Simply put, we suffer.

I haven't written a blog post in a while because I haven't felt that anything I wanted to share was in proper alignment. You see, I have many varied interests. And seeing as we live in a society that seems to really love when we are all packaged-up and easy to pinpoint, I fall into the trap of feeling like there are certain "areas" I am "supposed" to cover. But is what I am sharing aligned with what I am experiencing?

I have never fit into a pretty package. I am rather a messy being. I am pretty sure that I have lost friends because of this. People get pretty uncomfortable with that which they cannot predict or understand.

"She is moving...again"...

"Why can't she just settle into a job, find a guy and STAY somewhere...have some babies"...

I can hear the thoughts. Sometimes they even manifest into words. But they don't sting. Not anymore. My strength is building.

My interests change with the moons. Not because I am desirous, or flaky. But because I need to keep learning. Am I dissatisfied? Sure. But I am not unhappy. There is more I want to experience, to discover, to uncover my hidden nature. I am learning to just move on.

And once I have learned something, I move on. Next!

A nutrition blog? MMM...too limited. Maybe focus on just yoga...JUST?! How about LIFE? How about humans?

When we, as humans, want to know something, we ask questions. And the universe brings us the answers. We stir shit up. We rock the boat. And so that is what this blog is about. That is what I am about. Asking questions, getting answers, sharing them. Period.

By settling in to the questions that occupy our minds, what stokes the fire of life within us...and then sitting with THAT and seeing where it takes us. This is alignment. Where do I feel this in my body? How is my heart rate? Is it fast because I am anxious, or because I am on to something?

My heart is beating...my stomach is tight...this needs to incubate.

My heart is beating...my throat is hot...this needs to be SHARED!

------------

My intention is to bring to this space, what I believe to be my aligned truths. When I notice, what fires me up, or as my friend Uma would say, what "turns me on", I query, incubate and share. God am I grateful to share. It's my greatest desire.

----------

As I shut the car door I glimpsed the children and they saw me. Running up the hill, them, running down the hill, me. We embraced and I kissed their cherubic faces. It had been a full year since I left the ashram and it felt so wonderful to be in the presence of some of the most beautiful souls I have encountered.

I made my way towards the office, excited at the prospect of which old friends I would meet. And then I saw it. Orange. The color of the Swami. Could it be? Could she, Swami Sita, be sitting right there in the office? My heart rate sped up. I felt like I was five years old going into kindergarten for the first time. What was it about her that makes me so nervous? Was I out of alignment? I can see where I still require strength.
---------

Food. Food was a topic that could be found upon my lips more often than not for many years. It has been one of my most prolonged topics of interest. But it's over. That's right-you heard me folks. I still have a LOT of information about it of course. If you ever need food advice, nutrition concerns, call me up, I am happy to share. But I know all I need to know. For now. I may come back to food and nutrition but right now I am all set.

My soul is satisfied. I have the answers I was looking for.

And what is that? That it's best to be vegetarian, and if you can, vegan. You see, we could argue until we are blue in the face for and against both meat and dairy. I could for sure. There are definite nutritional values in both. But that's not the point.

I have read enough literature about our global environmental situation. And THAT is not even my real interest. Sure, I am cool with saving the ecology of the planet. Yes, livestock use up a ridiculous amount of grain and water that COULD be going to humans starving throughout the globe. But that's not the point either.

The point is this: Cain and Abel. T-Rex and Brontosaurus. Throughout history there have been scientific, religious, philosophical texts and parables that all paint the meat eater as violent and the vegetarian as docile. THAT is the point my friends.

Ahimsa. Non-violence. And it's not even that I want to protect the cute bunnies and the resources from land, grain and water hungry cows. Nope.

And I will admit it right here. I like eating meat. It tastes good. THERE, I said it. But you know what I care about more than my cravings and taste buds? YOU. I care about your ability to be a human on this planet. To be here experiencing the wonders of the world: family, friends, sex, touch, sunlight, cool breezes, damp forest floors. Love.

We are here for a reason my friends. And the violent ways that began so long ago, we have the intelligence to turn around.

Alignment. Hari OM tat sat.

6 comments:

  1. You need better photos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need a photography lesson

    ReplyDelete
  3. What do you imagine would make more sense here for an image?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you and the way that you write. I love that you are finding your alignment.....and I especially love that you are not all tied up in a little predictable package. "you are not that" but "you are".

    ReplyDelete
  5. OM OM OM Eric :) Love you too!

    ReplyDelete