September 10, 2011

Language Lessons


A quick snippet of life overseas :)

-----
It's not news that when learning a new language we often make follys that are not only incorrect but also incredibly inapproprate...and hence incredibly funny.  A popular story in these parts is the use of the word preservatives. In English, they are those often demonized chemicals added to the foods we buy in boxes, bags and jars.  But here, the term refers to condoms.  And so you can imagine how some familial conversations have gone, especially for those highly-natural volunteers explaining the foods they like to eat, you know, "all natural" and "without preservatives"...

-----

I began my one-on-one tutoring in Russian this past week and within my first lesson realized something I had taken to saying that was just SO wrong.  The use of prepositions is complicated and I, for some reason, took a liking to using B (sounds like "V" and can mean in or into or to).   And so I used it.   A lot.  It was only when I was relaying to my tutor some things I had recently told my host parents that we realized I was saying that I went or was "in" some of my friends...uuhhhh!  I had meant to say I was with someone or at their house...So yes, we had a great laugh. 

My tutor reassured me that of course people knew what I was trying to say and not to worry.  And of course this is one of those excellent moments to check in and and make a "note to self":  "Um-hey Self? Yeah, really don't take yourself too seriously."  Really.

Om tat sat.

No comments:

Post a Comment