December 11, 2011

Technique 6: Lunar





This part was written during my recent trip to Greece:


In the background I can hear an accordian, as someone, most likely a child, walks up and down the streets of Athens begging for money.  Next door I hear the voices of men in their work day chatter as they together build what will be a stack of condos, ushering new neighbors into my friend Shiva-Shakti's life.  Noticing, noticing.  


In my own mind, I can hear the chatter around not doing my November Acension post, the Lunar one.  Life picked me up and carried me around for a bit, unsettled so as to write my thoughts on such a vast subject.  But today, in my friend's house in the ancient city of Athens, freshly returned from a magical trip to the island named after the ancient Greek word for water, Ύδρα (Hydra), I turn my attention first inward to find the truth of water and the moon, and then outward, to share that with you.


So what do we know about the Moon?  Well, she is like a mirror.  She reflects to us the light recieved from the sun.    She gives and takes, but does not create.  She moves in cycles.  So, what is the knowledge here?  What might we digest of this that allows wisdom to grow in each of us?  I read the passage from the Ishaya's Ascension document:


The Lunar Attitude develops the intuitive power of the sixth chakra, Ajna, the “Third Eye.” Patanjali describes the result of mastery of the Lunar Technique as complete knowledge of the firmament. Another result of this Attitude is the development of Soma, the glue of the Universe that is responsible for the celestial perception of the second stage of enlightenment, Exalted Consciousness. The Moon is called the “Vat of Soma” in the ancient literature, because the focus on the Moon naturally produces this molecule in the body. Mastery of the Lunar connection opens the aspirant to the worlds of the virtuous, to the Heaven of the Forefathers, to the Path of the Gods.


And once again...I wasn't able to "finish" and so now I add even later from my bed in Balti:


I try to make some sense of the above: "complete knowledge of the firmament" seems to speak to a state of knowledge of all that is so vast that the un-attuned mind cannot comprehend.  And Soma seems to be the stuff that binds all together...echhh...who am I kidding?  This is hurting my brain to try to extract some meaning from that...and so...I will just say what I think of the moon!  I do love that orb in the sky!  Last night we had her full and a 2nd lunar eclipse following the one back in June.  


When I think moon, I think surrender.  I accept this light, I shine it.    That we should strive to develop more peace, faith, receptivity, openness and surrender-like the moon.  And for those who sort of hate the idea of surrender, because it sounds something like "losing" or giving up?  Surrender is the opposite of giving up. It is freeing yourself from the desire to be in control, letting go of how you think things should be. Surrender is freedom.  


And when I think of surrender, I think of water.  The flow.  I recently read a beautiful description of water, flow, and surrender by Osho.  And so I will finally finish this blog post with his words of knowledge, imparting more wisdom into each of our souls:
-----
When I say 'become like water' I mean become flow...Move, and move like water.  


Lao Tzu says: The way of the Tao is a watercourse way.  It moves like water.  What is the movement of water?  One, it always moves towards depth, it always searches for the lowest ground.  


It is non-ambitious; it never hankers to be the first, it wants to be the last.  Remember Jesus says: Those who are the last here will be the first in my kingdom of God.  He is talking about the watercourse way of Tao.  Be the last, be non-ambitious.  Ambition means going uphill.  Water goes down, it searches for lowest ground, it wants to be a nonentity.  It does not want to declare itself unique, exceptional, extraordinary.  It has no ego idea.
-----

And here the moon is like water, having no ego.  The moon doesn't shine bright like the sun, producing it's own worth.  And yet in this non-ambition, the moon still functions fully for its exact purpose.  It still provides light and remains steadfast.  All without trying.  The moon reminds us, to let go more.


Om tat sat.



2 comments:

  1. This reminds me a lot of Sylvia Plath's poem "The Moon and the Yew Tree." I'm glad your trip to Greece was a good one, and I can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete