June 6, 2011

Q) Why Am I Doing the Peace Corps?

10:53 PM, Sheraton Hotel, Univeristy City, Philadelphia

This is a question I get often.  This is a question I have had to ask myself as well and whose answer I am still developing.  It's multilayered. 

-----

Sitting up in a queen sized bed with four fluffy pillows preparing for my last slumber stateside for at least a year.  My belly is full from a meal from one of my favorite mexican restaurants.  I suspect I won't have mexican food for a long time.  I suspect I won't have a queen sized bed, air conditioning (rather I KNOW this), safe water right from the tap, for a long time.  And that's OK by me.

-----

I read a couple of blogs out there in cyberspace and follow a bunch of people on Twitter, some of whom have referred to the topic of "digital blank slating".  This is when one erases their blog archives, removes themself from most social networks and starts anew...online.  That's not enough for me.   I am just doing it the regular old fashioned way and physically going somewhere totally new.

But why? 

This answer will continue to develop.  What I can tall you for now is this:

A)  I am doing the Peace Corps simply because I can.  I can due to circumstance, and I can because my heart and mind allow and encourage me to do so.  Not all of us can do this I know...but that part of you that wants to...I invite with me. 

Om shant with love.  See you in Moldova!

2 comments:

  1. Best wishes Julie, on your brave and beautiful journey! Love, Ali

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trina Akiyama16/6/11 1:23 AM

    Im that person! Im totally there with you. good luck julie :)

    ReplyDelete