June 13, 2011

Welcome to Moldova





The trip started a bit easier for me as our staging took place in Philadelphia. I finished packing around 8AM on Monday morning and ran off to CVS for the 4 extra passport photos I had just read that I would need. I also decided to print out some photos to share with my host family: my family, our home, me doing yoga ect. Back to the house, last pack and look around…butterflies.


The trip was as could be expected: long and heavy. As in I always seem to carry too much “stuff”. Something I still have to learn. My only slip-up was leaving my liquids on the security belt in Munich. I realized this at our gate as we were preparing to board for Chisinau and I wanted to spray my face with the fruit enzyme spray I got in my MyChelle sample pack. I looked quickly to the flight attendant…can I go? Fast? YES! Boy did I run. Those small, organic, natural products were too precious to lose. The security men were expecting me. I grabbed, smiled and ran back to my small and stuffy plane to arrive on a hot day in Moldova, my new home
.
The best way to describe the days that followed our arrival is the following: exhausted delight. It was great to finally meet many of the volunteers who were providing guidance as we packed and it was amazing to be spending the time with the people I consider my new family. But at the same time, I was so exhausted that I could only muster up a version of myself. I hope you can feel my love through my eyes.


My first big surprise came when I found out that I would be part of the volunteer group learning to speak Russian. (Only 8 of us out of 54). I am doing my Pre-Service Training (PST) in the village of Cricova, which is predominately Russian. At first I was disappointed. I had told myself for months that I would be learning Romanian and that it was a good thing because it is a Romantic language and my proficiency in it would assist me in learning French, Spanish ect. BUT, my yoga swept right in and told me that all is for the best and to TRUST. This will be a great challenge indeed. For now I am seeing it as a game. Learn as much as I can, do my best.


My host family in Cricova is wonderful! My host parents speak only Romanian and Russian (though only Russian with me) and I have a sister here, Diana. She is twenty and speaks English very well so she is our translator. This makes things MUCH easier but is good and bad as I can depend on her to tell her parents what I am thinking and vise versa. Cricova is famous for their wine, made in the champagne style. Apparently Senator John McCain made a visit to the winery last night!


Foods I am eating: fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, dill, strawberries, cherries, chocolate, coffee, bread, honey, butter, cabbage….I will tell you all of their names “Po Russki” at another time.


Tonight Diana and I picked cherries and I will bring them to my lessons tomorrow to share with my new friends. My life is so blessed with friends…you, them, the ones to come. Today, I am full of gratitude. I know that at times the feeling of gratitude will be challenged in ways I cannot foresee nor imagine. I will come back and look at this bowl of cherries I share with you. It is the people I meet who are the fruits of my labor.


Hari Om tat sat.

5 comments:

  1. SOOO happy you are doing so well! love you so much!! <3 Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you are off to a GREAT start, Sivakami! Enjoy those cherries...and the famously good wine too! I think you are very blessed to be able to learn Russian: one of the most beautiful languages in my opinion. I think you have many "followers" waiting to hear more of your experiences :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful! :) I think Russian will actually be a better language to have learned once you are back in the U.S. There are a lot of Russian speakers here. Also... I'm envious that it's hot there. Enjoy it! San Francisco is freezing and foggy (typical summer weather apparently).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow this is so much fun to see your life! Can't wait for more

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jules! I am so happy to read your blogs! Your experience is amazing excitment, expanding and exploring! Enjoy mon amie! :)

    p.s.- paris= october 3... moldova?!?

    ReplyDelete